Scholars from Cleveland State University recently published “The Healing Economy: An Economic Development Framework for Cleveland. As cost drives consolidation in health care akin to “The Healthcare Hunger games,” the report asks whether health can become to Cleveland what tech is to Silicon Valley? As Pittsburgh utilized robotics expertise at Carnegie Mellon University to transition from steel to autonomous vehicles, could Cleveland apply AI to digitized health information—building off successes in Explorys and IBM Watson, to improve productivity in health care? More significantly, the report posits that Cleveland could leverage its “first mover advantages” by strategically deploying its considerable assets in translational research to “artificial intelligence of population health, particularly the AI of disparities.” The authors believe that the excessive morbidity, mortality and health disparities in our region should be viewed as a potential, rather than a liability—offering a “proving ground” to create and test a model whereby technology corrects, rather than drives disparities. It is now well accepted that health care only explains 20% of variation in health outcomes. Cleveland should leverage its AI capacity to understand and address the other 80% of factors affecting health outcomes. This should become our product and export. In summary, the report notes:
These words rang very true to us at Health Data Matters. In fact, the vision behind Health Data Matters was to create a resource whereby real-time access to data on health outcomes and the social determinants of health would foster the creation of apps, technology, and health care solutions that would improve population health and reduce disparities.
We have strategically used the Community Health & Wellness Track of the Cleveland Medical Hackathon, and the Cleveland Public Health Innovation Meetup Group as places to develop and test such applications. As always, we welcome your involvement!
Other work outside of Health Data Matters is a step ahead of this report—anticipating the likelihood that algorithms built on data generated only by those who are digitally connected will not wind up being effective with the significant fraction of the population that is not digitally connected. This work, centered at MetroHealth System, and conducted in partnership with Ashbury Senior Computer Community Center, will be a focus of several sessions at the Net Inclusion 2018 Summit, to be held in Cleveland April 17-19, 2018.
See below for more details about this and other upcoming events featuring our work:
HIMSS18: Node Health Innovation Roundtable, March 7, Las Vegas: Presentation of the Digital Medicine Pilot Registry Study by Amy Sheon.
Informatics Domain Task Force Face-to-Face Spring Meeting, March 16, San Francisco: Proposal for a work group focused on the digitally disconnected, presented by Dana Crawford
Data Days CLE, April 5-6, Cleveland. Panel discussion on precision public health, led by Scott Frank, and hands on with Health Data Matters, led by Amy Sheon.
Net Inclusion 2018 Summit, April 17-19, 2018, Cleveland:
Pre-Conference workshop, Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Digital Inclusion and Health, April 17 , Co-led by Amy Sheon
Panel discussion, Overcoming Barriers to Health Information Technology Adoption, April 18, panel discussion featuring Adam Perzynski
Panel discussion, Digital Inclusion and Health: Why it Matters and What can be Done?, April 18, panel moderated by Amy Sheon
AI in Healthcare Summit: June 11-12, 2018, San Francisco, CA,
Panel 1: Analyzing the Reliability, Differences, and Effectiveness of FDA medical Devices versus Consumer Gadgets, panel discussion with Amy Sheon
Panel 2: Consumer Engagement, Education and the Proper Understanding of AI Products, panel discussion with Amy Sheon